Thursday, February 10, 2011

Offensive Package

I guess to properly introduce myself I could tell you my hobbies, interests, girlfriends name, and so on... but if it were me reading this blog I really would not care.

With that said I am going to get into football.

I figure since I consider myself an offensive coach (however like most good offensive coaches I started on the defensive side of the ball) I will go over the offensive package I run.

I consider our package a pro-style offense (what the hell that really means I don't think anyone really knows...). To me what that means is we will use multiple personnel groups, formations, shifts and motions to get the defense aligned how we want it, and than we will go to work with a balanced offensive package.

We take the approach from Brian Billick in his book Implementing An Offensive Game Plan (Great read highly recommended for anyone in any offense) in which we view our package in a yearly, weekly, and game plan oriented approach.

This time of the year we add and subtract from our package and come up with our "Offensive Utopia". This meaning we come up with how we want our offense to look and operate in a perfect world. Once our yearly offensive package (which I will go over in great detail later in this post) is put together I will, as the offensive coordinator complete a yearly installation schedule.

The yearly installation schedule is one of the best tools I have started using over the last 2 years. The goal of the yearly installation schedule is to help you avoid entering week 1 saying "Sh!& we haven't installed our empty protection yet!"

My yearly installation lists every practice we will have from January 1st to the night before our first scrimmage. We are constantly installing and fine tuning throughout this time with the goal in mind that come season we are only making adjustments based on game plan (this is clinic talk to an extent there are always a few things I try to install during the season and more often then not they are sh!& canned the next week).

When installing a concept I always install it the same way (Whole, Part, Whole - Cliche but effective):

Installation Process:

1. Offensive Unit Meeting (Whole) - Each position group is sitting in their own section of the classroom with their position coach. I as the offensive coordinator install the play to the entire group. This is done on the chalk board, and then game cuts of us, college, and NFL teams are shown.

2. Indy (Part) - Individual techniques necessary to the success of the play are practiced. Great attention to detail must be exhibited in individual time.

3. Group (Part) This differs from run and pass...

If we are installing a pass our group outline goes as followed:

A. 1 on 1 - Work the individual technique of each route vs. zone and man defenders 1 on 1.

B. 2 on 1 (Movement Key Drill) - this is a portion of practice where we are running our combination against only our movement key (I.E. Flat Defender on Curl/Flat Concept)

C. 3 on 2 - 3 On 2 is incredibly important in order for QB's to understand our check down principals

D. 7 On 7 - Self Explanatory

If we are installing a run our installation process goes as followed:

A. 1 On 1/ 2 On 1 Combination Drills - This is where we break the run into parts for our offensive line (Base Block, Combo Block, Double Team, Fill Block, Etc)

B. Pods - Working the backside Tackle, Guard, Center in one pod, The Middle 3 (B.S. Guard, Center, P.S. Guard), and the Frontside (Center, Guard, Tackle, and possibly TE/Wing) along with the runningbacks/fullbacks.

C. Inside Run - duh again

D. Team -

I think if you want to be successful you must follow the same installation format for everything you do. Your players want to be taught, and learn to love the structure of the installation process.

*As a side note we give everyone an installation note book. In it are blank templates I make on playmaker pro that they must fill in during every meeting and keep in their lockers. When I have locker room duty (one of the things I have learned to hate coming from the college level) I inspect their installation notebooks for quality and the ever important attention to detail.

Back to our "Offensive Package"



We break our offense down like this...

"Know where you are going to live" - Tony Franklin
If you are going to be an air it out 75% of the game team know that going into the season. That way you can better delegate where you will spend your time in the installation phases.

Goal: Strive to be a balanced attack -

50% Run
50% Pass

Last Season:
57% Pass
43% Run

A. Run Game (50% Of Offensive Play calls)

1. Gap Scheme (Power/Counter) - 25% Of Offensive Play Calls
2. Zone Schemes (Tight/Wide) - 15% Of Offensive Play Calls
3. Misc (Iso, Trap, Draw) - 10% Of Offensive Play Calls

B. Passing Game (50% Of Offensive Play Calls)

1. Drop Back (3/5 Step) 25%
2. Play Action/Sprint Out 15%
3. Screen 10%

1 comment:

  1. I think that people that they are into your blogging they would like to know more about the person behind those posts. Even more sports bookmaker that they want to learn more about FootBall.

    ReplyDelete